Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Selah Rae

Y'all may not know this but Selah is my favorite name for a girl. I first heard it when I worked at the YMCA in the Kid Zone. An older sibling and her younger brother would always come into the Kid Zone and they loved to talk to me. I remember thinking when I met her "Selah, what a beautiful name!" That was the beginning of my journey with Selah. After I fell in love with name through knowing a child, God brought that 2-syllable word in my life beyond the YMCA walls. 

Selah is found in the Psalms and Habukkuk, it's said to be a musical term to pause and reflect on the words that have been said (or sang). God used that beautiful musical direction to teach me to "be still and know that He is God" in my life. 

This is why I want to name my first born daughter Selah Rae (insert husbands last name). 

Rae is my middle name but that's not the only reason why I want to give my daughter my name. Rae is the Scottish meaning for Grace, something I learned recently. My first name means "bitterness", which I hate. But my name "Molly Rae" together is a beautiful picture of the power of the gospel. Where my sin and bitterness against God was redeemed by his grace! His grace has made me new and he is turning my bitter heart into something beautiful! He has done this by teaching me to be still and be in awe of him! 

My future daughter (whether she be of my own blood or adopted) will be named Selah Rae because together her name means "to be in awe of grace." 

What a wonderful reminder every day of the grace God poured out to me and all the people of the world! ✝💙  

No comments:

Post a Comment