Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Come taste and see!

“Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!”
Psalms 34:8 ESV

What comes to mind when you read "taste" and "see"? Food is my first thought. I love food. Every bite of my chicken bowl at Chipotle I say to myself, "taste and see that the Lord is good!"... Okay, not really. The bowl is half gone before I even remember to pray! I can't help it! Chipotle is just SO GOOD! 

But that's how I am with every meal I eat by myself. I'm just so excited to eat I can't wait another second to dig in! It's as if I haven't eaten in months! As I chow down my food I find myself stuffed at the end and wishing I had more. If only I had lingered on each bite so I could enjoy every single bite. 

That's what my quiet time with God can often be like. Most of the time I am in a hurry to start the day, so I glance through a devotion or briefly read the Bible verse of the day and off I go! No being still today, time is short! But then as my day goes on I feel unsatisified and sluggish just as my stomach feels after inhaling 4 bites down my throat. The food fills my hunger need but I don't realize that I'm full until I'm stuffed and can't move. God can use that bible verse or devotional that I rushed through in the morning, but I miss out on the blessing and opportunity to linger with my Heavenly Father. 

I had this realization last night before my roommate and I went to play international soccer. We left early to go walk the trail because we both needed some quiet time. We walked side by side, not talking, and God lead us to different places. It's as if God was telling me, "I've been waiting to be with you, my sweet daughter." 

On that quiet trail I spent the first half of my walk just overwhelmed with thankfulness! I thanked God for everything. Literally everything. I thanked him for the trees and flowers blooming, the sun that was keeping me warm last night. I thanked him for a body that fights sickness (I got sick over Spring Break and over Easter). I thanked him for bringing me to DBU and changing the plans I had in high school. I thanked him for a job that is preparing me for my future. I thanked him for my roommates and the community on campus that I spent my first two years at DBU praying and pleading him for! I thanked him for the ability to move and to run. I thanked
Him for my car, my shoes, and my clothes (as few or "out of style" they are). I thanked him for feeding me each day. I thanked him for my lungs and for my brain. I thanked him for the breath that he gives me each day to live this life I do not deserve! God brought thing after thing until I started singing a song that came to my heart. 

It's Your breath in our lungs, so we pour out our praise, we pour out our praise 
To You only, God. 
Great are you Lord! 

And then I sat in silence. Waiting.
I realized in that moment that I have been struggling because I was trying to do things my way instead of GOD'S WAY. I was trying to love like Christ but I've been discouraged because I don't see results. Then it hit me like a test drive dummy smacked by a car. 

I can't love somebody like Christ loves them without Christ showing me how. If I try, I'm trying in my own strength and not his. 

You see, God is teaching me something about living life with people. The way I receive love may not be the same way they receive love. And if I only love people my way, then I'll continue to be discouraged because they're not responding or accepting my love the way I want them too. 

Then God reminds me just how he has loved me. He loved me as I am. He called me before I even knew I was being called. He sought me even when I wandered off. He beckoned me and disciplined me so that I would learn that his love is better than where I was seeking love. He showed me that I could trust him to never fail me. And it's because of his love that I am compelled to love people. But I'm not perfect. I can't love perfectly. My only saving grace is in Jesus Christ who has shown me how to love. 

God showed us his love in this way; while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ❤️

I never would have heard God in this way if I hadn't stopped to "taste and see" what he had to say. He has something for us to "taste and see" every day. We just have to make the CHOICE to take time to inhale God's Word deeply so that we can exhale His love into our daily lives! ❤️


I hope this post has been an encouragement for you to seek God and a satisfying relationship with him. Life is so much better with him!! ✝💙

If you have any questions or prayer requests feel free to comment!! 

Have a terrific Tuesday! 


With love in Christ, 

Molly Rae  

1 comment:

  1. Molly, your love for Jesus is inspiring. Thank you for living life with me over the past two years! God has taught me so many things through you, so thank you for being available for him to use you. :)

    ReplyDelete