Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Teaching The Next Generation

Teaching preschool children

I had 6 preschool children (3 girls and 3 boys) with me and my goal is to teach them soccer skills and to help build character development.  I split the children up into 2 teams (boys and girls). The word of the week is PATIENCE (waiting your turn). But in this moment a sponataneous character lesson occurred. I decided to teach the boys about being gentlemen. 

I told the boys that the girls will go first and they will wait with PATIENCE for their turn. The boys moaned at first and I said, “is that being patient?” Then I asked them, “do you know what a ‘gentleman’ is?” All of the boys said “No.” 
Then I said, “A gentlemen is a boy who is nice to girls. One way to be nice to girls is by letting them go first.” 

And then we can practice being PATIENT (waiting quietly and with a happy heart) for your turn. 

But the boys are not the only ones who needed the lesson. I turned to the the girls and asked them do they know what a “lady” is. 
I then explained to the girls that a “lady” is a girl who  is nice to boys. So since the boys were nice to let you go first then you tell them “THANK YOU!” for letting you go first. 
 
The girls said shyly: thank you 

And then I told the boys to say “my pleasure” (because you are happy to let them go first) 

If you are a parent, or you work with kids of any age, look for those moments to teach your child  a life lesson. Your kids are not too young. They are teachable and moldable. Let’s raise the next generation together! 

1 comment: