Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Helping Children Learn Math

Molly Adams 
Math 3303 
June 21, 2016 
Article Annotation 

The smartest of math teachers will fail to help their students learn mathematical concepts if they do not understand the reality that is multiple intelligences. When teachers realize these theories and philosophies, we can work and study to teach math in different perspectives according to the multiple intelligences that connect with each of our students. These theories and philosophies of learning is to help teachers know how to “empower children to learn mathematics. Whatever method is chosen, however, children's varied learning styles, strengths, experiences, and perspectives must be considered. To achieve that goal, it is important to recognize that not all children learn in the same way, and that children have multiple means of learning.” This article uses Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences that explains seven different ways that children learn. Some students may have more than one of these intelligences, but an effective teacher should be sure to incorporate all of these in her lesson for each student to be able to learn and lead to cognitive ability. 

SUMMARY OF GARDNER'S ORIGINAL MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES

INTELLIGENCE DESCRIPTION

Linguistics Words/Language: the ability to use words
 correctly and comfortably, either orally or in
 writing, to express meaning

Logical- Logic/Mathematics: the ability to use numbers
Mathematical correctly and effectively; to think
 inductively or deductively; to categorize,
 classify, and generalize

Spatial Visual: the ability to understand, interpret,
 and model the visual world; to represent
 spatial information effectively

Bodily- Body/Physical: the ability to use physical
Kinesthetic means to represent ideas and feelings

Musical Music: the ability to understand and use
 musical concepts in a perceptive or
 technical sense; to develop
 an appreciation for music

Interpersonal People/Relationships: the ability to
 relate to and understand people; to possess
 good social and leadership skills

Intrapersonal Self: the ability to use self-understanding
 and self-knowledge; to monitor the self; to
 be self-disciplined

 (Armstrong, 1994)

Along with these multiple intelligences, this article uses the five mathematical process standards as the framework for “utilizing the multiple intelligences that children bring to mathematics learning.” 

Mathematical Process Standards: 

1) Problem Solving
2) Reasoning and Proof
3) Communication
4) Connections
5) Representation

The article says that the main focus for teaching mathematics is the “focus on problem solving.” I agree with this statement because that is the essential skill everyone needs for any kind of math problem; whether it be a word problem or algebraic problem. If a student cannot cannot figure out what the question is asking then they will not know how to solve the problem. Everyone's mind works differently and develops different, and not everyone can see a problem in the same way. Students must learn how to take a problem and turn it into something that they can read and understand. 

For example, when I was second grade I would stay up late with my mom doing math homework because I just could not visualize that 4-2=2. However, when my mom would ask me how many pencils there were after taking two away, I was able to confidently say “TWO!”,  but when I looked back at the paper I couldn't match it with the numbers on the worksheet. Math was a struggle for me and I couldn’t verbally tell my mom why I didn’t understand. Not until my second grade teacher turned everything around for me. My second grade teacher was the first teacher I had that did not make us sit and do math problems. She had math stations around the room for us to work with our hands and work with classmates, and if I needed extra help I could go to the teacher one-on-one at her desk. This was when I was able to visualize the numbers on the paper. 

Looking back now if I was my mom, I would have drawn four lines or shapes next to the math problem like this: 

O O O O 

Then I would mark out two O’s and ask my second grade self how many there were left after I took two away. 
O O 

Then I could visualize the four minus two problem and I would learn how to do the strategy myself. Now, I do not blame my mother for getting frustrated with me back then because we were both frustrated. She was frustrated that I couldn’t grasp the concept no matter how many times she explained it, and I was frustrated because I didn’t know why or what I couldn’t understand and I didn’t know what to tell her. We both finally learned when my second grade teacher enlightened me on the wonderful world of math! 

You see, I wasn’t able to grasp 4 - 2 = 2 because I lacked the intelligence. I couldn’t solve the problem because my brain developed differently than my older sisters, and I needed a different strategy to match my intelligence. Based on the Gardner Multiple Intelligence I believe that second grade Molly was a  Spatial Visual and Bodily- Body/Physical Intelligence. I was able to grasp the real world strategy that my mom used with the pencils, but I needed to learn a strategy to draw something next to the problem. 

I am telling this story so that all teachers will understand the importance of teaching math in different perspectives. Do not just think that your way of learning math is the only way. Do not be afraid to let your students learn in their own unique ways. Encourage their ability to solve problems and help them discover strategies that work for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment